Friday, February 12, 2010

Too cool for a title

So-- you may have noticed that I didn't blog on Wednesday OR Thursday. That's because not much happened on Wednesday. And Thursday, I was just not in the mood. Thursday morning, we went to get Ash from the airport, then scooted over to Stanford for an appointment. What they did was injected some contrast through my drains and took X-rays to see if they were draining from my pancreas or a collection of fluid elsewhere in my body (we were rooting for pancreas). Turns out it was indeed coming from my pancreas. Surprisingly, my doctor decided to pull my drains out a couple inches right then and there. This was a surprise because he had told both Ash and I on separate occasions that he would wait until he saw me on Tuesday. Oh well, I thought--better sooner than later.
Turns out it hurt a significant amount. Also turns out I didn't bring my pain meds with me because I didn't think he'd do the drains. Stupid.
I made it home ok, then took some pain meds. I still felt crummy though, so blogging wasn't first on my mind. I did have a nice ending to my day though. Ash and I had our weekly TV date upstairs all by ourselves (Bones, The Office, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice). It was so refreshing to have time alone with my wife- that's how we normally live, and I think that's how it's supposed to be done. We even fell asleep together during Private Practice (which I don't mind at all- I only watch Grey's and Private Practice because Ash likes them). Finally, we went to bed and -- miracle of miracles -- we both slept through the night! We've been praying for that for a while and it felt really good. Hallelujah.
One thing that dampened our day was the doctor's estimation of how long I would be in Lodi. He didn't talk to me, so I don't remember the details, but it's longer than we wanted. He is cautious. But he also changes his mind based on circumstances; if the drains really dip down (like they should eventually- though right now they are pumping out extra because of the pulling), maybe the date will be moved up. But we'll have to see what happens and I'll have to push for it.
My wound looks better today. It's noticeably smaller than before. I hope it heals faster than expected. That would be awesome.
Today, Ash is trying to get me to be more active; going on more walks, going upstairs, and my first shower in a loooooong time. Please continue to pray for healing of the wound and stoppage of the drains. You guys are awesome.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment