Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Aggravation

When I was little, my mom and grandma used to play Aggravation with my brother and I. It's that marble game that you must go around and get your marbles home without getting knocked off by other players. Just when you think you're about to win, someone comes up and kicks you back to the beginning. The only word to describe the game: aggravating.

That is how this hospital stay is beginning to feel.

After such great news yesterday, Dan and I felt as though maybe we were really getting to the end of this long haul. Dan has been eating very small amounts since last night and the drains looked great...until 2 o'clock. While the last shift's 8-hr total was 12 cc, one drain put out 30 cc in two and a half hours. Shoot. The nurse is paging the doctor to see what he wants to do. Does this increase mean the end of the food trial? Could this be just a short spike before things get better? Will this delay going home? After finally being able to eat (due to very low drain output), Dan is frustrated to be faced with NPO status again.

We are waiting for the doctor's opinion before getting too gloomy, but we're pretty bummed.
As far as we know, if Dan fails this food trial, he will be sent home on Friday on TPN. Dan has come to terms with that and just wants to get home. I suppose we just don't want the disappointment of not being able to eat to be compounded by the disappointment of not going home on Friday. Going home with TPN is not the end of the world, but it will get old pretty fast. I'm just unsure how long Dan would have to be on TPN before doing another food trial. In fact, we are just unsure of a lot.

On a good note, I'm back with Dan. I fly out of Sacramento of Sunday night, so please pray he is home by then! I'll be back again on Tuesday night. I'll be an airport pro in no time. It's wonderful to be back in the same place, I just that same place could be not the hospital!

Prayer requests:
* Drain stoppage...no more increase!
* Wisdom for the doctors
* Continued wound healing
* Surprise "passing grade" in the food trial
* Home on Friday! (one month is enough)
* Joy through the frustration
* My ability to get my homework done while away from school
* Good news....great news...soon

Praises:
* Dan's eating
* Safe travels
* Wound healing (the wound vac change showed great improvement today!)
* The last six M&Ms in my bag were blue, green, yellow, orange, red, brown...on accident :)

1 comment:

  1. Keep being patient you guys... God's mightier than anyone of us even know =) - Jess and I are praying for you both every single night!

    "Adversities and hardships are opportunities for us to go higher. Consequently, God does not prevent every negative thing from coming into our lives. 'Unfair things will happen to you,' Jesus said, 'but here's the key: be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world."

    ReplyDelete