Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting close

Today my mom and I went to Stanford (Ash is back in LA for school). It was nice to have the doctor give some good news.
:)
I had a CT scan to check for fluid buildup (you remember from last time that that is a bad thing). It was a long wait, and I felt like cacapupu because my wound was hurting and I had gotten very little sleep. Then I had to drink contrast (which tastes nasty) [sidenote: in the hospital I had drank it mixed in gatorade and it was not great, but they mixed it with water and it wasn't too bad. weird] ANYWAY the CT turned out great! I went back to the doctor right after the scan and he told me so. Then he switched my ugly gross grenades to sleek and sexy drainage bags I can strap to my thigh like a secret agent, and then he pulled on my drains for the second to last time (apparently they are right by the skin- hence 'getting close'). It hurt like crazy. I could barely take a step with my right leg. So I'm taking it easy right now.

So here's the plan: watch the drains to make sure they don't go crazy, and if they don't by Wednesday... EAT! I'm excited. I have an appointment next week, where he'll pull out (like, all the way out) one of my drains if everything goes well. The next week, he'll pull the other one out (if all goes well). Oh, did I mention I am free to go home? To La Mirada? Because I am! I just have to make sure the home health people have their ducks in a row (which they should), then my mom will drive me down, probably on Wednesday, and I'll be home and my mom will take care of some business at my grandma's house. So... yeah.

There are a couple hitches: my wound, which has been stitched up by my dad so it's almost all together, has some problems. a) it hurts more because the sutures are pulling on me, b) it's not coming together in exactly the right way, and c) it is more of an infection risk than the wound vac. So sometime, some or all of the sutures have to come out and the wound vac will be put in again, because the two (sutures and vacs) don't coexist well. Some of the progress made will be retained, so it's not a total loss. But wound vacs are more annoying, and still painful.
Hitch 2 is that we're trying to get an appointment on a non-Monday so Ash can go. It's really hard because Monday is his only official clinic day but it's also Ashley's biggest class day. However, he had said that he could squeeze us in on a different day if we needed to, so we're pushing for Tuesday. Other than those and my pain (which has lessened but still really hurts), things are good. God is good. Mysterious, but good. He is not a vending machine or Santa Claus. I don't know what he's up to, letting me suffer when he could have healed me, but there are so many horrible things in life that turn around for the good. One day, I will know. Until then, I am his, because he is God, and I .... am not.

Pray for:
drains to continue being low so I can eat! (and to stay low if I do start eating)
home health agency to work efficiently to allow me to get back to LA
fast-working and well-working wound vac
pain to die down
tuesday appointment rather than monday

No comments:

Post a Comment