Tuesday, February 2, 2010

He sets the prisoners free

I do feel a little bit like I'm in prison. The doctor even used the same metaphor this morning. However, he seemed to indicate that I'll be released soon. Read on for some good news.

I'm having a CT today. I had to drink the nasty contrast stuff again. The first time was torture, the second time was easy, this one was also hard. But I got enough to get me down to the CT, for which I am waiting now by blogging these words.
My drains went down again! This time to 40 (and just think: I used to be in the 200's!). There are a few factors involved, such as the CT results (is there excess fluid in my body where it's not supposed to be?) and the drain output (will it go up now that I have downed so much liquid?), but so far... it's looking like I'm eating tomorrow. Doc had said before that 30-40 was a good place to try food, while the other, meaner, more experienced doc had said he wanted the drains dry first. So I guess we're going with the earlier plan. Should the drains maintain their low output (which would be SO excellent), I can go home with no TPN (which is SO excellent). Also, the team will pull back on the drains about an inch (did I mention this last time? I feel like I did), which could help even more with the drains. Maybe they'll do that anyway. On the other hand, if the drain output goes up, I'll go back on TPN for a little while.
But I'll be able to go home.
Basically, unless there is a new complication that is severely unstable, there won't be any deviation from the plan, and I can go home! Before the Super Bowl! I am excited.
Ashley comes back tonight. I'll need to take a nap later so I can be more than semi-awake when she arrives. Her teachers are being really nice to her and letting her use my eventual home-health care as part of a hodge-podge clinical. It sounds like things are really looking up.

Pray for:
NO DRAIN INCREASE!
No excess fluid on the CT
Going home on time
No drain increase :)
Safe plane trips for Ash

1 comment:

  1. Bjorks still here praying you get to see a great Superbowl - AT HOME!!!

    Nice to hear the drains are getting close to dry. Also hoping that since you didn't mention your wound, it's getting much better.

    Thanks for the continued updates!

    ReplyDelete