Monday, January 11, 2010

Stanford and Family Care

Good things are happening today.

Dan's foley came out, his IV fluids were decreased, he's drinking more fluids (without stomach cramping), and he's walked 3 times already today. His labs are improving also, especially his liver function tests. His hematocrit is still low (24), but the surgeon is pretty sure it's due to the amount of fluids he's received the past few days. McGreeky was actually happy with Dan's progress, which was great to hear. He lowered his PCA dose to try to wean him down slowly. Now, we're just waiting for bowel sounds to return.

I just got back from the Sizelove's house where I took a shower and a nap. Thought I should reassure our friends and family that yes, I am taking care of myself, too. Dan is sleeping right now. He seems to have tired himself out from all the walking. When I left, he was going to sleep. When I got back, he was going to sleep again. All part of the healing process.

Stanford is a great hospital, but Dan and I have discovered a bone to pick with them...they do not like family staying overnight. This is odd to me because the hospital where I work has couches built into the wall that fold into cots. Throughout nursing school, we have been told that caring for the patient means caring for the family also. Well, Stanford is struggling with this a bit.
Last night, I made up my "bed" and went to sleep. At 11:15p, the new nurse told me I had to leave. Dan got upset and told her why I needed to stay. She checked with the charge nurse who agreed to let me stay. I'm not sure if she agreed because it was late or if Dan had made a good point. So, it looks like it's going to be a fight every night. I think (think) I could handle leaving late and coming back early before the docs arrive, but Dan really doesn't want me to leave. Keep that in your prayers please, for Dan's sake.

Prayer Requests:
* Continuing improvement of labs, pain and movement
* Appearance of bowel sounds
* Understanding charge nurse who will let me stay with Dan throughout his hospitalization
* Quick recovery...much more quick than the doctors expect

No comments:

Post a Comment