Friday, January 22, 2010

Pleasant People

You know, I bet it takes a lot to still be willing to answer a bunch of questions right after you've performed a 5-6 hour surgery and spent the day in clinic. McGreeky is just a pleasant guy. Dan had a CT today and rather than making us wait until tomorrow to hear the results, the surgeon came on over and listened to us. Patiently. Listening might do more for calming a person that having all the right answers at that moment.

The CT provided comforting results that the excess fluid floating around has lessened by half and there appear to be no signs of additional infection. Good news.

Dan and I asked about his hematocrit that has dropped rather than increased and about the leaky pancreas. The hematocrit levels are blamed upon Dan's chemo a couple years back and on the toll of hospitalization. The pancreas drainage is still chugging along, though it might be losing some steam. McGreeky was humble enough to admit that things are not going as quickly as he would have expected, but also told us he was being as aggressive as possible (without opening him back up). Yet, he thinks the rate will decrease and the worst of the dangers are behind us. He said to cross our fingers, but we'll stick to praying.

McGreeky also mentioned that he wants Dan to fully heal before going ahead with the next step of the surgery. Instead of 2-3 months, he's thinking more 4 months.
My nervous mind makes me worried...I graduate in 4 months. So, hopefully, we can talk the doc into doing the surgery at least a month before May 29 or waiting until after. I don't think I could walk without Dan there...he's how I got through nursing school! Before anyone starts telling me "Slow down, stop worrying, my goodness, blah blah blah." I know! At least if I vocalize this concern, I can be joined in prayer for it right?

Another group of pleasant people also visited: the Sizeloves! They brought all the kids and sat at the front lobby of the hospital so they could see Dan (kids aren't allowed in the hospital due to H1N1). Mark and Rachel were thrilled to finally see Dan, since they've only seen me these past few weeks. The kids even packed us a present bag: play-do, hot wheels, bubbles, a puzzle and a book. They drew us pictures, which now decorate our wall. I'm not sure we can ever express how thankful we are for Laura and Jon. They have never failed to open their home to us while at Stanford. Such a blessing. I hope someday, Dan and I can be just as hospitable as they.

Anyway, this is the 3rd blog in one day. Phew. Unless something major happens, I'll update more tomorrow.

Prayer Requests:
* Healing of pancreas and wound
* Recuperation of Dan's bone marrow (for hematocrit)
* Wisdom for planning the next surgery
* Rest for the surgeons (they look tired!)
* God to be glorified through us and this situation
* School scheduling, etc.

Praises:
* Good news from CT
* Patient doctors
* Encouraging friends

No comments:

Post a Comment