Monday, January 25, 2010

Just a little PO'd

If you read the last blog, you read that
1) another surgeon was going to consult on my case so that I could be assured a well-rounded decision
and
2) the plan was two days NPO, two days eating, decide from there TPN or not and go home.

Well, this morning the surgeon came in (who reminded me of my US History prof at Biola) and consulted. I kinda wish he hadn't.
He said that I needed to be NPO longer, though he was going to up my TPN so I wouldn't be as hungry. He wants to put a wound vac in tomorrow (which I think is a fine idea- I'm ready for the wound to close). He wasn't too concerned about the underlying hole- there's something they can cover it with and it won't be a problem. However, instead of a set timeline like McG gave me, now, I'll have to be evaluated at the end of the week. I suppose that could still mean a release date of Friday, but it could also mean I'll be stuck here longer. And even when I do get home, I'll be on TPN for sure, to be renegotiated by weekly meetings with the doctor.

So I mean, there's good news mixed with bad; I think the good news is marred by the fact that I'm still here. I even think the drain output went down. Maybe if it keeps going down, today's decision can get overridden and I can go home sooner. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Also, Ash just spoke with her nursing professor and needs to be down there a couple days a week to be able to graduate. So, pray for cheap flights and safe drives. This will be a long month.

What we do now is wait and see (surprise, surprise). Keep walking. Keep breathing. Keep doing something to pass the time. Pray for drains to stop. Pray to go home. Pray just because that's what you do in all situations.
Right now my goal is to be out by the Pro Bowl, of which I could write another entire blog, because of the timing and location change this year which the NFL will likely regret and hopefully reverse. But that's not what this blog is about.

Keep praying for us.
Dan & Ash

3 comments: