Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wound Infection #2

As if Dan didn't have enough to deal with, his wound has become infected. It has looked a little red and angry today, but we were just watching it. Then, he spiked a fever of 101.1 this afternoon. Finally, we got the team to pay more attention to the incision. The intern thought they would take out a staple or two tomorrow to let any pus drain out. The nurse and I helped to convince the resident (his superior) that maybe that should happen today. So, 3 staples got removed and a good deal of drainage came out of the wound. It was deja vu as this happened with Dan's last incision--which is now a wound that we are still dealing with.

The plan is to let the incision drain and to recheck it tomorrow. If it doesn't look markedly better, Dan will be started on antibiotics. Hopefully, the wound will be able to heal better this way and not need to be opened all the way.

Dan really isn't feeling well right now. His immune system is pretty low (WBCs=2.5) after being in the hospital for so long (TPN is causing some problems with immunity also), so it is taking a lot out of him to fight this infection. He's been tired and sleepy all day. He's fighting some nausea here and there. He's still in pain. I just convinced him to give in and go to sleep, though I don't know how much that will help him.

I'm really not sure what tomorrow will look like. The doctors were anticipating advancing his diet, but Dan didn't really eat enough to be sure he can tolerate the clears. As I blogged earlier, his GI system is sending mixed messages, so that isn't helping the docs make decisions. Yet, the resident commented tonight that it might take real food to get Dan's bowel working again...though he cannot give a regular diet yet. A catch-22 of sorts.


I wish we had chosen to do Cyberknife. It may not have worked, and Dan might have needed more treatment later on. Yet, it would have been a week of out-patient visits. I might still have a job. Dan might have been able to finish his credential. I would have had Dan around to celebrate my final semester of nursing school. Yes, I understand that those are all potential outcomes and that complications could have arisen there, too. Yet, I cannot bring myself to see this surgery as a success.

I haven't the faintest idea what to pray for now. A wound infection, nausea, vomiting, non-improving pain...all of these things have been prayed against, yet they have happened. Yes, God has a plan for Dan. It just hurts to see Dan continue to suffer more and more set-backs as he tries to be in God's will. Of course, Dan has more faith than me. Always has. I know we're not supposed to test the Lord, but sometimes I just yearn for proof that He actually loves Dan and is caring for him.

So many people declared that 2010 would be a year of victory for Dan. No more cancer, a new hip, a teaching credential, a new job, etc. Instead, Dan is stuck in a hospital bed with half as much cancer, losing his strength, losing his immune system, losing so many things.

We need a turn-around. Dan needs to feel better in the morning. Dan needs to be able to eat and not be nausea. Dan needs his pain to abate. Dan needs his infection to resolve. Dan needs his immune system to bounce back. Dan needs a miracle.

3 comments:

  1. I'm praying....hang in their Ashley.. God has not forgotten you and Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, you're right, we are not to test God, but we certainly have the ability to question. No one has any idea why all of these things are happening.

    I'm heart broken with each post and I'm not even the one dealing with it. God has TONS of faith in the both of you and from the looks of it, it's for good reason. I know this can't even come close to being an encouragement to you as nothing really can at this moment, but I am amazed at the testimony that you guys are and are still flourishing into.

    It amazes me that you both still have so much hope with the end of every post. Seeing how much you know that prayer is necessary is seriously amazing. When it's difficult to be on your knees and know that God is listening to our prayers...Isaiah 49:15, "Though some may forget you, I will NEVER forget you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, praying for you both always...you are CONSTANTLY on my heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete