Monday, April 5, 2010

Nursing Student

I must make a confession: though I am a nursing student, I am not always fond of Dan being cared for by nursing students. I know, I know...hypocritical. However, some SNs just aren't on their game and let mistakes happen. Accordingly, I have become a wee bit more watchful tonight, as Dan has a SN again. This one is graduating in May like me, but has fought with this IV pump multiple times tonight and if I chewed gum like her, I think one of my preceptors would have smacked me. Oh well. We all have to learn. Dan is her easy patient, so I'm pulling for no mistakes this time around.

By the way, Dan is doing alright. (He was supposed to blog in exchange for taking the computer away from me, but he thought checking sports stats would take priority.) The NG tube came out this morning, freeing him from one more tube. His heart rate stayed up for most of the day until McGreeky came in. After he left, Dan and I went for a walk. When I hooked him back up to the pulse ox (measures oxygen and heart rate), his pulse was barely high. Now, it's back to the normal range. Yay! He still has a teeny fever, but that's better, too. His new wound looks good--like a football, Dan says. The staples will probably come out sometime next week, so long as everything goes well. His pain is under control, and he is much less sleepy since they changed the medication today. He still has a pain that the doctor cannot explain, but Dan said it is getting better.

Tomorrow, we're hoping for gas! That would mean a clear diet finally, and some progression toward the true test: solid food. Accordingly, we'll keep walking around the unit and staying out of bed as much as possible.

Keep praying. We're both tired of this hospital business. Dan wants to eat and go home. Seems pretty simple, right? Oy.

I'm off to sleep, too. I need to be alert when the nursing student comes in...maybe I should crawl in bed with Dan and freak her out again! Ha. Don't worry, we'll be nice.

Prayer Requests:
* Passing of gas tomorrow!
* No infections or other complications
* Ability for Dan to eat normal food without any pain or recurrence of obstruction
* Resolution of weird pain...and all pain very soon
* Energy and endurance
* Ability for Dan to come home with me soon...this is getting very old :(
* NO MORE COMPLICATIONS EVER EVER EVER AGAIN
* Encouraging news and events tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment