Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Third time's the (Lucky) charm?

For the third time in 2 years, Dan got a PICC line placed today. Somehow, he got to the top of the PICC nurse's list, which means he'll be able to get TPN tonight. After a week of not eating (and losing 10 more pounds), some solid nutrition will do his body well. He has no energy and is pretty apathetic about getting out of bed. Such a bummer.

McGreeky came by this morning and reminded us that this is a "waiting game." Yes, we know, sir. The NG tube drained about 2 liters yesterday, which is still a lot. Additionally, Dan's belly pain has returned here and there. The surgeon says that is his bowels trying to overcome the obstruction. He doubts the blockage has changed much in the past day -- for good or worse. McGreeky might rethink the x-ray tomorrow if the NG keeps putting out so much fluid. So, now we just wait.

In other news, today is one of my favorite holidays...St. Patrick's Day! Of course, as a good (mainly) Irish lass, I enjoy the celebration of my heritage. Yet, I also find excitement in this day because it is celebrating a missionary! St. Patrick spread the Gospel using culturally relevant object lessons and stories--allowing the good news of Christ to permeat Ireland. Makes one wonder how many pubs full of people slamming pints tonight actually know what they are celebrating!

Usually, I make Irish soda bread on St. Patty's Day and watch The Quiet Man (classic John Wayne film that takes place in Ireland) to celebrate. As we are stuck in the hospital again, no soda bread will get baked today. Also, my movie is 500 miles away from me, so we had to switch to another great Irish movie: Waking Ned Devine (hilarious). I even forgot something green to wear, so I'm making due with a lime-green head band I found in my backpack. It'll have to do.

I hope everyone has a wonderful St. Patrick's Day and remembers what the day really is about...God working through a man to reach people for Christ. Though celebrating Irishness with a Guiness, corned beef and cabbage or wearing shamrocks is quite fun, too!

“Before I was humiliated I was like a stone that lies in deep mud, and He who is mighty came and in His compassion raised me up and exalted me very high and placed me on the top of the wall. What is more, let anyone laugh and taunt if he so wishes. I am not keeping silent, nor am I hiding the signs and wonders that were shown to me by the Lord many years before they happened, [he] who knew everything, even before the beginning of time.” ~ St. Patrick

Prayer Requests:
*
Complete resolution of bowel obstruction without the need for surgery
* Miraculously quick healing of the obstruction
* Positive signs by today or tomorrow: bowel sounds, gas, etc.
* Improved nutrition status with TPN
* Quality rest for both of us
* Wisdom for the doctors
* My ability to get school work done in such a distracting situation
* Dan's ability to come home with me very soon
* Normalcy and a long period of good health in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    You do not know me but I stumbled upon your page while looking for object lessons for our mid-week children's program. I was touched by your page in such a way I felt the need to write. I have prayed over the things you have requested. One sister standing in the gap for another is something that is so valuable to me. Please know that I will continue to pray for you and Dan as the Spirit leads. My Irish blessing to you...."May your blessing be many. May your curses be few. May others see God's hand in all that you do. May your feet travel swiftly through the deserts of life. May your life abound in joy and not constant strife. For you my friend are love by One, who loved so much He gave up His Son."
    Blessings,
    Pastor Kim Takemoto
    SierraView@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete