Thursday, December 18, 2008

We...are...done!


Actually, Dan is finishing his last final of the semester as I write, though by the time you're reading this we will positively gleeful. No more homework or quizzes or papers or tests or classes. Just a little work and Christmas and lots of rest. I'm not sure either of us have so looked forward to a break!

The last few days have been pretty busy ones. To begin with...it rained! Hard. In souther California that is truly unheard of. I love rain, though I have discovered that it really isn't that enjoyable when the rain creates a lake on your patio an then begins to flow through the front door. After Dan left for work on Monday morning, I wandered out to see what he meant by: "When you wake up, there's a little water by the door." Expecting "a little water" I was unhappily suprised to see a kiddie pool in my living room, especially right next to the Christmas tree (as that was my top priority). The construction and facilities team now know me by name seeing as they have visited the apartment so many times this week. We still have a bit of a leak issue, but they have promised to have it fixed before we leave for Christmas up north. I hope so.
Speaking of Christmas, I finally found time to go shopping today. Having two families to shop for is taking a bit longer than expected, so Dan is getting dragged away from Madden tomorrow to help me out. He's thrilled, I'm sure.

Oh, some of you have asked about our schedule for the holidays...

Saturday: drive to SLO to a wedding (Melissa and Hayden are finally tying the knot), as long as his hip cooperates. Stupid avascular necrosis (vocab word of the day-look it up). His hip has felt better the last couple of weeks.

Sunday: Arrive very early in Santa Rosa and spend the day with the Cliffords :)

Monday: Drive very early to Stanford for a CT and PET Scan. Hang out with the Sizeloves.

Tuesday: Meet with Dr. Cho and get results back from the CT. (Before moving on, I am really nervous about this appointment. It has been 3 and a half months since the last scan and as Dan says, "it could go either way." I hate this feeling of uncertainty and fear--the product of not trusting God all the time. He has been so faithful in bringing healing and health to Dan's body; may we pray that this continues. Dan is much less nervous than I (like always), though there is some uncertainty still. The best Christmas present I can ask for is encouraging and wonderful news from the doctor...and no need for chemo! Please pray for us, and Dan's healing in particular). Next, we'll meet with the orthopedist about Dan's hip, and then Dan gets some bisphosphonate goodness (an experimental treatment for his dead femur head) before we drive back to Rosa...rejoicing, hopefully.

Wednesday: Christmas Eve with the Cliffords, Carters and Kees. Yay!

Thursday: Christmas morning at my house, drive to Lodi for Christmas dinner with the Howens.

Friday: Hanging in Lodi.

Saturday: Dan has something up his sleeve, but he won't tell me what it is.

Sunday: A 49er's game.

After the game, we're not quite sure when we're heading home. I just need to be back to work for New Year's Day. Dan and I are truly excited to see family and friends soon and to celebrate the birth of Christ with them. After worrying about school all semester, I've found time to worry about the "C word" again. I suppose God is still going to have to work on this whole
trusting Him in all things idea.

God is good. Always.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite the blogger now, my friend.

    Who knew you'd have lake front property at your first apartment? Lake Howen...has a nice ring to it, but I don't think I want to see the view anytime soon again.

    P.S. God is good - all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen and amen. the trust thing is lifelong I am afraid, and day by day. sometimes we sail and sometimes we flounder, but you are right, in the midst of it all, God is good forever and ever. His plans and ways may not be ours or even to our liking, but He is trustworthy, faithful, loving, gracious, merciful, magnificent and most of all worthy of all praise and glory to which end we live and have our purpose. Praise Him and trust Him.....end of sermon to me and you.

    ReplyDelete