Thursday, July 1, 2010

Transition. No fade, more like a wipe.

In case you don't understand the title, it's in reference to film transitions. A fade is, as it sounds, a slow mixing of two shots that's nice and smooth. A wipe is what you see in Star Wars a lot where the new shot sort of rolls abruptly across the screen.
There, I used my degree.

So in the last 3 weeks, much has happened. The bowel obstruction scare came and went, though Ashley is still concerned I might wake up one morning with that same intense pain. God willing, I never will again. Ashley took the NCLEX (the national certification process for RNs) on June 21st. It is said that the devil works at the NCLEX. It's true, or at least it feels like it. It is by far the most intense, draining, ulcer-inducing test I have ever heard of, and that's just studying for it. Taking the actual test must be like facing a firing squad. But the absolute worst part is after you take the test. Everyone leaves the testing center feeling like they failed, and California is one of the states that does NOT participate in a 48-hours-later-pay-10-bucks-and-find-out-if-you-passed program (and they need the money, why not?). So you're left waiting and agonizing for 1-4 weeks, praying to have passed but dreading that you failed.
Anyway, we found out on Wednesday that Ashley PASSED! (thanks Monique for waking us up at 5am) It was an answer to fervent prayer and a huge relief. Once the official license comes in the mail, she'll be all set. Also, Ashley got a job at Whittier PIH on an observation floor (where you end up if you go to the ER and the doctor doesn't quite want you to go home yet, but you can't stay in the ER). Hopefully, after some time on that floor she can transfer to the adjacent oncology floor (which is Ashley's desired specialty). So... that's AWESOME.
That also means that we are sure (for the first time) where we will live this coming year(s). We found a nice apartment to move into, and we're moving from Biola housing to.......morrow. Yeah. It's been crazy packing up our lives. I wish I had two good hips instead of one, because it has relegated me to non-heavy lifting only, which doesn't sit well with my exceeding manliness. (Ashley laughs... but she knows it's true) However, we have some awesome friends helping us out. We're both excited for our new place.
So, up next is this: I have a CT on July 6th to see how much my liver has grown after the portal vein embolization. If it has grown a sufficient amount to sustain liver function, then Surgery: The Sequel will be premiering on July 16th to lop off the bad section of liver. Hopefully, there will be a quick recovery, because Ashley has orientation at the hospital starting July 26th. I can resume my schooling at UCI in January (where I left off last year), so until then I will apply to sub and/or seek a short-term job to keep myself occupied and start attacking student loans. Also, there will soon be an addition to the Howen family....

No, not a baby. A kitten! It is yet to be named. But you can bet there will be pictures eventually.
Anyway, this is getting really long, especially for me. Keep praying for us, especially for no more obstructions, good liver growth and a complication-free surgery. And make sure to praise and thank God profusely for the blessings we have received.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment