Monday, July 12, 2010

Double Take II

I'm getting more and more into puns these days. So this title is a pun on the last title (Take II) but now it's Double Take, meaning a second look. So my radiologist (who performed SIRSpheres back in 08 and the embolization back in early June) was looking at my recent CT to check the liver volume, just to be sure that this surgery is a good idea. Well, he thinks the liver is actually a little smaller than it was (which makes sense, since the embolized side was supposed to shrink), so the idea of cutting off more of it didn't seem like a good idea right now, especially since my tumors are slow-growing, if growing at all. So tonight, like 45 minutes ago, the Greek called to tell me that

the surgery is postponed until further noticed.

Basically, since this surgery isn't exactly chopped liver (pun!), it would be safer and smarter to wait a while for further hypertrophy (growing) of the liver. So in early August/late September, I'll get another scan and see how it's going. Another option that we'd discussed in the past was to burn the tumors instead of cutting them out (which was the idea for the 4th tumor of the now-postponed surgery). Theoretically, if September's scan looks the same as this one, the burning option could be the #1 option. I mean, you can't really not use your liver. That's why it's a 'live'-r. I can here your groaning from hear. OK, I'll stop.

I think we're both ok with this. Now I can be in our awesome new apartment for more than a week to start with. Now I can be here as Ashley starts her new work. Now I can definitely be here for our anniversary. I can still recover in time for school, which won't start up until January. My hip surgery will be a little further away, but again, that's not the highest priority right now. So... I'm excited.

Please continue to pray for liver growth. And praise God for a wise choice by the doctors to not rush into a serious surgery without a definitely safe amount of healthy liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment