Sunday, July 11, 2010

Surgery: Part II

Nearly six months later, the second half of Dan's cancer resection has been scheduled and set in stone for this Friday, July 16th. The CT Dan had last week showed that his liver grew back some, but not the extend the surgeon had hoped/expected. Accordingly, the surgery plan has been modified to leave Dan with more healthy liver tissue. We have a meeting with the surgeon on Wednesday at which time we can explain the details.

This week will obviously be a busy one: we leave on Tuesday for Lodi, meeting with the surgeon and pre-anesthesia appointment on Wednesday, and then surgery on Friday. It will be nice to see our families before spending more time in the hospital.

As I am starting my new job on the 26th, I have to be back to SoCal the Wednesday following the surgery for a couple days of pre-hire appointments. I'll drive back up to Stanford with a friend for the weekend, and then start orientation on Monday. All that to say, I won't be able to stay with Dan throughout the recovery. I'll try to drive or fly when I can on the weekends, but it will be rough.

God-willing, this recovery will be much faster and smoother than Dan's previous surgeries. The liver is prone to bleeding and becoming quite angry when "attacked". Thus, there are quite a few complications that can arise after surgery. Yes, it is true that this surgery could leave Dan cancer-free. Yet, we are focusing on Dan's recovery before we glory in the possibility of remission.

Dan is doing fine: not worried, confident and encouraging. I am fine for now, though I'll get more nervous by the day. To be frank, I'd rather have a healthy/happy husband with a small of tumor than a sick/suffering husband without cancer. I do understand that it is possible to have a health AND cancer-free Dan. It's just the surgeries and hospitalizations and complications that keep me from believing it's possible any time soon.

Anyway, time for prayer requests. People often ask what they can do for us in times like this. Eventually, there may be material needs, but for now, our needs are spiritual. Please go before God on our behalf in preparation for Friday.

* Ask God to guide the surgeons' hands and minds, giving them wisdom and assurance.
* A safe and successful surgery
* No complications, especially bleeding and infection
* Pain management (it's going to be tricky with Dan's modified liver)
* Quick recovery
* Cooperative digestive system: no bowel obstructions!
* Peace for me and the rest of the family
* Endurance for me

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! The Bjorks will put you back on our prayer list for everything to go well this Friday.

    ReplyDelete