Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Receiving well.

In the past week, we have received several new gifts for our home. 

One is the fireplace insert, in front of which I am writing this post. For someone who loves warmth and coziness (and a less expensive electricity bill), this is a perfect gift. 
Another gift is a decorative block that holds the baby's jumper seat, which happens to be in the shape of a TARDIS. For a couple who have fallen into the nerdy sphere of Doctor Who, this makes watching the baby bounce while we work even more fun.
Yet another gift? Decaf coffee and tea as someone noticed I was running low. 

All of these gifts came from my in-laws. My father-in-law (another Whovian) actually carved the TARDIS, which is honestly a work of art. My mother-in-law noticed my hot drink depletion while babysitting Abe so Dan and I could go on a much-needed date night. 

While the tangible gifts are wonderful and are already being enjoyed daily, there is something intangible hidden in the hands of the givers: family. I have been blessed with a large, loving family of my own, and while at Biola, I was blessed with an amazing church family at Redeemer. Neither of these families is replaced by my in-laws, but my concept of family has been enriched and stretched.

Moving to Lodi, I felt alone and isolated without friends to enjoy the time with or a job outside the home. The last 6 months have been a growing, stretching time for Dan and I, and have held the potential for relational discord. However, we have been lovingly supported by his parents in extraordinary ways.

Have you seen Everybody Loves Raymond? If so, you would know that Ray's mother tends to come on over to their house whenever she wants and his father tends to assert his opinions rather frequently. For the sake of honesty, this is what I was afraid of, though I can readily admit that neither of my in-laws possessed the level of boisterousness or obliviousness necessary to re-create Ray's household!

Instead of this scenario coming to pass, I have been humbled by their ability to help without taking over, admonish without directing and gifting without expecting anything in return. The individualistic cynic in me wants to re-pay them for everything they have done or given us, as I do not like being in the debt of others. Yet, God has finally broken through a tiny crack in my soul to soften my heart.

I have always been grateful, but I am not good at receiving gifts. As my in-laws have showered us over and over again, it is as if God is using them to teach my stubborn spirit to receive well. Though the blessings continue to tumble through our door, they will never amount to the Gift that I received so long ago.

If I cannot receive a box of tea or a restored light fixture, how will I ever be able to receive the gift of Christ and His resurrection? If the offer to babysit our son so that we can strengthen our marriage seems too much, how can I embrace the gift of God's son given to cover my sins? If the purchase of a lunch seems extravagant, how ever will my mind wrestle with Jesus' death to purchase my soul?

Thank you, Bob and Jamie for being instruments of grace in our lives during this transition year. Thank you for the many gifts you have blessed us with. Forgive us (me) if we do not express our gratitude enough. I am humbled by your acceptance and love for me despite my ability to be distinctly difficult at times.

Moreover, thank you, Jesus, for breaking down strongholds and taking thoughts captive. Thank you for my salvation, for my life and for never turning your back to me. Thank you for using my in-laws to soften my ability to receive well.


1 comment:

  1. I am really blessed by this post, as I, too can relate. I had a mini-fight with my sister today-- she was visiting and wanted to help us clean our house. Been so busy with work, the place has really fallen into a state of clutter and disarray. I didn't want her to clean, she was using the wrong sponge, too much water.. Didn't want to admit or accept the help. She loves to clean... she really enjoys it and has a gift for it... but she left close to tears... After calling my mom, I called her back.. she's going to come over this week while I'm at work, so I won't be there to "supervise"... what a blessing and a gift it will be!

    And at church this evening... the message was about the Cross. "Don't you realize you've been bought at a price" stuck in my mind. The need both to admit and to accept. To celebrate, to relish, to rejoice...in what Jesus has done for me. Not just my head, Lord, but wash my feet and my hands, too! And when the rush of feelings fades, keep me close to You.

    Love you girl! Thanks so much for sharing your heart here!

    Christina (and Nate)

    ReplyDelete