Thursday, April 23, 2015

2 Week Notice #2

(I wrote a post like this one while I was still pregnant with Abe, so I figured this might be a good way to answer frequently-asked-questions this time around, too. Since Abe just put himself down for an uncharacteristically early and easy nap, this may be short so I can nap, too!)

1. Still pregnant, huh? 
Why this gets asked I do not know. Look at my belly--question answered. Besides, I just hit 38 weeks yesterday, so technically, this baby could keep baking for another few weeks. Oy.

2. How are you feeling?
Not terrible, really. Tired, nervous, excited, finished with being this pregnant.
I'm thankfully not miserable like I was with Abe, as all of my ribs seem to be in their appropriate locations. I've been seeing a chiropractor throughout the pregnancy to keep my scoliosis in check and that has really helped with the normal aches and pains.
I have been sick frequently with this baby (with respiratory infections, colds, asthma-exacerbations, etc.). Baby girl has just tanked my immune system, but for now, the household is healthy!

3. Are you ready?
As ready as we can be, I think. Abe got moved into his big-boy room last weekend, so the nursery is now ready for the wee one. Newborn clothes are washed and put away. Baby blanket is finished. Nurse gifts are ready. Abe's present from the baby is almost ready. Contingency plans are set with grandparents. Go-bags have been packed for a few weeks. Dan has emergency substitute plans ready at his school. Last few OB appointments are scheduled.

4. How's the anxiety/OCD?
I'm doing just okay on this. My OB and counselor wanted me to stay on my meds throughout the pregnancy this time to try to alleviate some of my more severe anxiety. Panic attacks have been held at bay, though my food-fears are still pretty active. With so many listeria outbreaks recently, I am super nervous about most foods. I'm craving apples and salad, but too scared to eat them. It's gotten to the point in which in makes more sense to just eat what I know I can handle instead of eating something that will make me panic for the next few days. It's really a bummer and drives Dan crazy, but it's not forever.
I will have to stay on the meds a full-year after giving birth because of my increased risk of post-partum depression/psychosis. Hopefully, getting back to normal routines and exercise will help with the OCD symptoms, though.
(As a warning, new-mom OCD usually presents with extreme fears about cleanliness and keeping baby healthy. If you are sick or have a cold sore (these are very dangerous to newborns) or don't like to wash your hands, please hold off on the visits for a while. We appreciate the support and desire to meet the baby, but throwing me into a panic attack is not worth it.)

5. Any signs that today could be the day?
Nope. Braxton-hicks contractions happen here and there, but not regular. I go between having lots of energy to wanting to nap all day. Baby is head-down and low but apparently not interested in leaving her warm little apartment.

6. Is Abe ready?
Ha! We'll see. He knows where the baby is when asked and has gotten a little better about playing gently with me. He thinks his new room is pretty great, though he tries to climb in the crib when I'm not looking.
He's growing or teething or something, so he's a tad grumpier than normal. Of course, he's also almost two, so he is more dramatic than a teenage girl.
He will love having his grandparents around a little more after the baby is born, but I'm sure there will be quite an adjustment period.

7. Do you need anything?
We have been exceedingly blessed with tons of hand-me-downs and new baby necessities. We could definitely use prayer for endurance and patience and energy.
Dan says I have "pregnant-lady senioritis", which is making me pretty cranky. Prayers that Dan can put up with my moods for a few more weeks and that I can keep up with Abe's boundless energy are appreciated. Also, prayer that this little family can stay healthy for the baby's arrival.
Dan also says we won't turn down food after the baby is born. He's a fan of home-cooked meals that he doesn't have to cook!
If you like toddlers, we have a rambunctious one who loves going to play outside or at the park...hint hint.

8. Can we come visit?
We'd really like to have some family time with the new baby before having a lot of visitors. Aside from immediate family, it would be nice to not have visitors until we're out of the hospital and settled at home for a few days.
This was already mentioned briefly, but please, PLEASE do not come to visit if you are sick. Dan already has a low immune system, but the new baby will be vulnerable, too. Until the baby can get her first vaccines (2 months), please keep in mind that not being vaccinated yourself puts her at risk, too. I'm not saying this to start any debates, but whooping cough and measles are preventable and  very dangerous for newborns.
It would be nice to stay healthy while getting used to our new normal.
If you do come to hang out, be prepared to wash your hands. You know, more than just after your cough/sneeze or use the bathroom. Also, keep the kisses at bay for a while. After 9 months of growing and protecting this baby, this OCD-mama is going to be protective. Really protective. You've been warned.

9. Does she have a name?
Yep. You'll find out after she's born. (Don't feel bad--the grandparents don't even know).


Thank you for the prayers and love and support throughout the last nine months. We are honestly blessed beyond measure with our friends and family.
Hopefully, we'll be able to introduce our daughter to the world soon!

1 comment:

  1. guest post sites
    Get the blog posting sites from these guest blogger who provide free guest post sites
    guest blogger provides list of guest blogging

    ReplyDelete