Saturday, November 1, 2014

No News is...

...just because I haven't had the time to sit down and write the news! Since the last update, we've had a lot of news--good and not-so-good. I'm breaking this (long) update into pieces, so you can read about whatever interests you.

Since I left off around our anniversary, we'll start there.

Dan and I celebrated our 6th anniversary with a family excursion to Big Trees and made ourselves a fancy dinner to enjoy after the kid was asleep. Perhaps our choices of celebration were budgetarily-based...but we had so much fun being together with Abe, in nature, in our home, no stress. It was lovely. It was also "productive", but more on that later.


Dan News:

Dan is obviously full-swing into the school year. Despite the changes to his classes, he is having a relatively great first semester. Having a BA in Film seems to be useful for teaching Film and Drama, while liking movies seems to help him teach History Through Film. (Sidenote: what high school student WOULDN'T want to take a class that teaches history by watching movies every day?) Also, on the docket: Life Skills. That class is a hodge-podge of career advice, college-guidance, and other tidbits. His homework load is lighter than last year, though lots of planning is still involved. That just goes along with teaching! I never cease to be impressed by his professional nature, hardwork and his ability to impart wisdom and joy to his students. Way to be, husband!

Healthwise, Dan has had some interesting happenings. The last MRI that we knew about hadn't shown any new cancer. His labs were looking good or at least good for Dan. So, we were rudely surprised at the beginning of October when he woke up in the middle of the night in severe pain. Usually, Dan doesn't complain until something is bad, so when he recommended going to the ER, we high-tailed it. Once there, the doctors determined that it was acute pancreatitis. They weren't sure what triggered it, as Dan doesn't drink any alcohol and hadn't really changed his diet recently. There best conclusion was that all the treatment to his liver and pancreas was catching up with him and causing one pissed-off pancreas.

Dan was thrilled (not) by the treatment plan: no food for a few days and IV fluids. Having spent nearly 3 months NPO and in the hospital, he was understandably weary of this plan. By God's grace, Dan got out of the hospital after only one night and was allowed to slowly advance his diet to low-fat solids over the course of a week.

Labs and further MD appointments haven't shed much more light on the matter, beyond the reminder that Dan's anatomy certainly isn't normal. His CT scan in the ER showed a possible new lesion in the liver (ugh), but a later MRI showed that it was probably just areas where his liver is scarred from previous treatments.  His labs, on the other hand, are very unimpressive. His WBCs and platelets are falling again, just like before his spleen surgery a couple years ago. For now, the oncologist just wants to keep an eye on it, but some form of treatment is probably on the horizon. Boo.

For YOUR part in helping us out, please keep Dan healthy by being smart. As in, WASH YOUR HANDS frequently (like if you sneeze or cough into them, after you go the bathroom, etc.). And, are you sick? We love you, but stay home. Also, here's a plug for the flu shot: getting vaccinated protects not only you but also those in the community with low immune systems. Do it.


Abe News:

Our rambunctious little ball of energy is 17-months-old and never stops. He is incredibly smart, following directions (when he wants to) and learning every day. He isn't talking really, but he's pretty communicative with signs and babbling. He has unfortunately taken to telling me "yes" whenever I tell him "no", so that's fun. He also points at everything very emphatically. Dan has to wander around the house following Abe's pointing finger to figure out what he wants.
Abe is still a picky eater (my fault, I've been told), but eats a lot of what he does like. He's still on the little side of the spectrum, but he's growing fast! Unbeknownst to Abe, the nursing portion of his diet is about to go bye-bye. It's mostly comfort/emotional nursing for him at this point, but it's time to be done.
(Concerned that I nursed my kid until almost 1.5 years? Lots of studies have proven that it is incredible for his immune system and emotional stability. He won't be scarred, I promise)
He is a character to say the least!


Ash News:

While I'm still at home with Abe and keeping track of household needs, I am actively keeping up my nursing license and certifications.  I'm recertifying in chemotherapy administration, gathering recommendation letters, etc. I do love nursing and feel that I'll return to it someday, but not right now. Being a stay-at-home-mom is really hard for me because I miss adult interaction and feeling like I am actually contributing to my family and society. Changing diapers and making mac-and-cheese just doesn't seem as crucial as caring for my patients sometimes, BUT helping form a little person is important.
(Thank you to Obama for reaffirming that I am not contributing my part to society: being a stay-at-home mom is "not the choice we want Americans to make". Thanks, sir! Pretty sure we didn't make this decision to impact the American economy negatively. We'll think about that next time...)
I asked Dan when he thinks I should go back to work. His response? "When there are no more stinky butts to be changed." Oh boy! (Laugh, it was a joke!)

Outside of house and baby care, I co-taught a class at our church on coping-mechanisms for those with mental illnesses. What a blessing for a church to acknowledge that mental illness is real and worthy of care! Wowza. It has been a learning experience, but I had an excellent and patient co-teacher who happens to be a counselor. Our class ends tomorrow, but God was at work in our hearts.

In one of my many efforts to remain sane, I got serious about running again last winter. I just ran my first 10K for my birthday in September. It was hard work, but felt so good. I really love long-distance running...maybe this isn't keeping me sane! My goal is to aim for a half-marathon in the next year or so. I would push my goal earlier, but training has taken a bit of a halt for the last few months.
You see, I didn't run my 10K alone...
And, remember when I said our anniversary was "productive"?
Well...


Baby News:
That's right. A baby. Number 2. Here are some answers to FAQs...
1. Was this an accident? Nope. We wanted the kids to be about 2 years apart, but were unsure how long we would have to try since we had fertility treatments with Abe.
2. Were we surprised? Yes! A couple months was a bit faster than we expected.
3. Are you happy? Yes!
4. How are you feeling? Blurgh. Nausea and food aversions I expected. Fatigue that knocks you out for a few months? No one told me! Seriously, I haven't run since my 10K because just doing chores and errands gets me winded and ready for a nap. Lame, right? I feel so lazy.
And the migraines. Without Advil or caffeine. Noooooo. Maybe the second trimester will bring back some energy...please?
5. When are you due? Early May 2015.
6. How's the OCD? It's ok for now, though I'm noticing an uptick in my handwashing and food-poisoning fears. I'm still a nervous nelly who didn't want to announce the pregnancy until...we had a healthy baby in our arms. Alas, I cannot hide my growing belly forever. As the second trimester begins, I am hoping that I don't go crazy like last time.


This was way too long. My apologies. I say this everytime: I'll post more frequently so the posts will be shorter. Nope. I probably won't. But I can dream!


Prayer Requests:
1. Dan's health: improvements in labs and scans, no more pancreatitis attacks, etc.
2. Energy for us to keep up with Abe and raise him well
3. Wisdom in our efforts to provide loving discipline to a toddler
4. Health and safety for me and the baby, full-term pregnancy and safe delivery
5. Insurance improvements through Dan's work
6. A closer relationship with each other and with God

1 comment:

  1. love you!!!!!! thanks for being open and vulnerable Ashley

    ReplyDelete