Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Major Prayer Request



For my entire life, I have been a worry wort. Everyone who knows me well, knows this. What everyone does not know is that I am a bit more than a worrisome person. I have OCD and an anxiety disorder. Now, I don't mean I just get a bit nervous or like things  a certain way. I mean, my brain does not work normally. 

My counselor describes it this way: we all have a warning light in our brains that tell that something isn't right or is dangerous. My warning light doesn't stop going off. Accordingly, I live in a near constant state of high-alert and some level of fear. Sometimes, the fear escalates and turns into a full panic attack that leaves me unable to function or think beyond that which has me scared. 
These attacks were getting so prevalent last year that my counselor felt I had plateaued with therapy and needed medication. I was extremely resistant, so I kept trying. I then reached a point where my worst fear would become reality in my mind. 

(Example: I would give an injection very carefully and know that I had not poked myself. However, the thing I feared most was getting stuck and getting HIV. Therefore, I would become sure that that was exactly what had happened. Like, really sure.)

I was miserable, and though he denies it, I'm sure Dan was miserable, too. When I came home from work "knowing" that I had hit a pedestrian on my way home (though I really hadn't), I gave into my counselor's advice.

I was on meds for about 6 months and both of us noticed a huge difference. Sure, I still worried about things, but I could worry about reality instead of my brain's misconstrued fictions. I felt good.
Last May, I successfully weaned off the meds as they could interfere with conception. I still felt relatively under control, like my brain had been reset for the better.

Unfortunately, this improvement has vanished since becoming pregnant. The doctor says that the hormones negatively effect my OCD. I say my OCD has gotten out of control. Mainly, I worry about the baby. Everything I do, I worry about hurting the baby: slamming on the brakes, eating most foods (listeria hysteria), going to work, etc. I also worry about my old fears of needle sticks and contamination...a lot. I simply cannot convince myself that I am healthy and able to have this baby. My panic attacks are getting more frequent and I feel like I am losing my mind. My mind is once again replacing reality with my worst fears. 

I am grateful that I am pregnant, but I cannot be joyful or excited. I am always afraid that if I get too happy, something bad will happen. If I buy maternity clothes, I'll lose the baby. If I start to plan, I'll get listeria. Seriously, this is how my brain has been working. So, please forgive me if I haven't been readily jubilant or forthcoming with information about my pregnancy. My OCD brain won't allow it.

After discussing this with my OB for the last couple months, we have decided that the risk to the baby is greater with my panicking and lack of functioning than with the medication. Dan and I have done our research about the medication and I have been given approval by my OB and GP to start them up again. 

(Actually, I spoke to my GP on the phone today and tearfully explained my current situation. She was incredibly encouraging, telling me that I am not crazy and that my mental health is just as important to the baby as my physical health. She has already done extensive research on pregnancy-safe meds and was ready with answers for me. She told me to remember that babies are much stronger than we give them credit for, but that no one should be looking down on me for my fears. She's also allowing me to go in for regular blood work to help me know that I haven't gotten anything at work.)

All that to say, I am hoping for a couple months of sanity in which I can actually enjoy this pregnancy. 
I'll start the meds tomorrow morning at a nice low dose, and we're praying they work like last time. 

Obviously, this is not something I have been eager to share with the world. I am weary of labels and the stigma of mental health problems. Yet, this is part of me and is a real problem that people deal with all over the world. The first step toward helping people with mental disorders is people shedding light on them. This disease is not made up in my mind or me being weak in my faith. There is a chemical imbalance that stops me from thinking properly. 

I try to spend a lot of time in the Word and have Scriptures on my walls. I pray constantly and I know that God is stronger than anything I fear. But, just like Dan got chemo as we trusted God for healing, I am taking meds as I trust God for healing.

Please, please pray for us. It is not just me dealing with this. Dan puts me back together daily; he is the only one who can talk me down. He uses logic to try to invade my brain for the better. I long to be happy and joyous and excited. I want to be able to love Dan without fear. I need to be able to work without constant fear. I need lots of prayer.







14 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley, I've got two friends in the same boat. I'll be praying for you both <3 hugs*

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I'm so thankful that you have vocalize this and are asking for prayer! I am so excited for you both. You're both going to be wonderful, loving, fun parents. =)
    I am praying that Jesus' peace SWALLOWS you up (in a non-germy way).
    Love,
    Alicia Miller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashely I am 1) so proud of you for speaking up about this and trusting us to bring you before God in prayer and come along side you. I cant imagine how difficult it must have been for you to write this. 2) i am with alicia. i am soooo thankful you vocalized this giving me an idea of how to better pray for you and support you. I am always praying for you and Dan. i pray God will give you His peace and joy as you continue to trust Him.
    love always
    Hanna Betts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful that you have supportive doctors who know you and are encouraging for you. I'm glad you have a supportive husband who is able to "talk you down" and love you through it all. Mostly, I'm grateful for a God who is in control when we are not. Continuing to pray for you and Dan and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, I will definitely lift you up in prayer. Thanks for sharing as the others said. You are loved by many, and we want you to be able to walk in wholeness and joy. May our God of peace pour out His many blessings on you and Dan, and may this time of your lives be a time filled with joy! I am so thankful that you have good Dr.s who can help you through this.
    Heather Crane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sister, thank you for your courage in writing about these struggles. Your honesty and candor are profound. No matter what, there are strong and loving arms surrounding you, and Dan, and Little. I am proud to be your sister and it is amazing to see God's hand in your lives. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ashley, I am your dads cousin Debbie from Mass. I first want to say congratulations on your news of pregnancy, I am so happy for you both. I can't say that I truly understand your situation, but you put the words together nicley for me to somewhat try to see what your going through. I am going to be praying for you as you go through this journey and for your husband also as he goes through his difficult time. You seem like you both are very strong people who have lots of friends and family who love you very much. I know you both can do this and come out in the end well and have a happy healthy baby in your lives. I would hope someday to meet you both. Stay strong, let God do his part and we will do ours. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley and Dan, I was getting weepy as I read the last two posts. I am so thankful for the ways you are both boldly and humbly pursuing Christ and Christ-likeness throughout the circumstances of your life. I am thankful for the ways that you have decided to walk in the light rather than walk in darkness and shame. And I want you to know that there are many people (Ashley, especially at PIH), who have a better idea of who God is because of your faithful testimony. I am blessed to be one of the masses of people praying for you - that our powerful and faithful God would be made great in your lives as he works mightily for your good. Much love to you both! Marla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley, Thank you so much for your vulnerability in sharing this! I love you!!!! I know its hard to be open about these struggles and am praying that you would be so immensely blessed through your vulnerability. I will be praying that God would make a way for you to thoroughly embrace your pregnancy and His design in pregnancy, labor, birth, and parenting. Love to you, Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Friends! We are praying for you! We love you guys and love how courageous you both are (even if you don't feel like you are). We will pray for courage, stamina, joy, and hope for the three of you! Leah and Geoff and the rest....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashley, I know it is not easy to accept that there is a chemical imbalance in our brains. It really makes life even more challenging. As we pray and pray to God to heal us of it or try to will it away, it is still there. Thank you Lord for meds that can help. When I'm having a hard time I pray and think of you and Dan. You two have so much faith and perseverance. I will continue praying for all three of you. May our Lord bless you with peace(both mind and body), joy, good health,and hope. Love to all Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashley, call your aunt Leslie. been there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ashley,

    You don't know me but I am a friend of Jamie. I feel like I know you and Dan because I have been praying and praying and praying for both of you ever since Dan was diagnosed with his cancer. I just want you to know that my heart is broken for you and I am now committed to praying that God will 100% completely heal you. Thank you for your honesty. I think you are one remarkable woman. Donna Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ashley, After reading this I so want to give you a huge hug! I know neither of you are remotely the type to want pity and I have no pity to offer. :) You live on Christ's strength! Your words and the lives you lead exude Him. I think of all you two have been through and it is incredibly inspiring to see how Christ has carried you and lives through you.

    You are not alone. In a small way, I can relate to the irrational fears. You have no reason for shame. Thank you for your honesty on this. I admire you! I will make a point to pray for you every day! Victory is yours because through Christ you are more than a conqueror! :)

    Love,
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete