Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Stand Up



I remember the first time I saw Patrick Swayze dance. I was perhaps a bit too young to be watching Dirty Dancing, but I didn't understand the plot yet...just the music and the dancing. Swayze was the debonair camp dance instructor who danced his way into to the heart of a rich girl and proved that money isn't everything. How often have I watched that movie over the years? I cannot count. My mom, my girl friends, my grandma...we all fell in love with the incredibly suave and graceful Patrick Swayze. Now, I can say I remember the day he danced out of this world.
As most know by now, Swayze was diagnosed with a particularly vicious form of pancreatic cancer in early 2008. Due to the spotlight of his fame, the nation watched as his weight waxed and waned, as he tried new treatments, as he fought for hope. His battle was actually far longer than most have the chance to fight against pancreatic cancer. Yet, my heart is heavy to see a figure of hope and perseverance lost. My prayers go to his wife and family.

This post is not actually about Patrick Swayze alone. This is about the unacceptable reality that cancer plays in this world. Swayze was joined by 1499 other Americans who lost their lives to this common enemy. As thousands of fans mourn the loss of their favorite dancer, millions are mourning the loss of their husbands, their wives, their mothers, their fathers, their sisters, their brothers and their friends. My heart is even heavier for them.

I do not have cancer, but cancer is a part of my life.

Half of my grandmother's siblings have succumbed to cancer in the past 10 years. My grandma is a survivor, and one of her brothers is, too. Cancer unfortunately runs in the family.


Over two years ago, Dan was diagnosed with an equally unfriendly form of pancreatic cancer--stage 4, inoperable. The summer of his diagnosis is the closest to hell I can imagine for now (see my mother-in-law's blog from 2 years ago). Though his treatment plan started out rocky to say the least, God blessed us immeasurably with his doctor at Stanford Medical Center (he even received chemo a few rooms away from Swayze!). Now, Dan has beaten many of the odds the doctors placed against him. He still has spots here and there; spots which could be cancer or could be scar tissue. Every CT scan report is a hold-your-breath-pray-for-a-miracle moment. Dan is confident, though I still fear for the day those spots decide to grow. For now, though, we live a happy and normal life with hardly any reminder of the cancer except for his cane.

In the next year, I hope to become an oncology nurse. Nothing has been clearer than the fact that I am called to work with those who have heard those dreaded words. Whether working with those sweet bald children with crying parents or grandparents who have no reason to believe they can pull through. God has been gracious in replenishing our hope for the future. I need to use that hope to help others find hope, also. I hate cancer. I love people with cancer.

Though I have work tonight and homework to do, I have found myself watching the Stand Up to Cancer broadcast from last September. Never before had that many people joined together to attack cancer. Never before had so many celebrities risen up to support cancer research. If you have never watched the broadcast, I urge you to do so. It is full of music, celebrities, and facts. The facts will scare you. I hope they do, at least. Facts save lives.

I am crying now. Crying out of sympathy for those who are losing the battle. Crying out of fear for my husband. Crying out of frustration for the lack of a cure. Crying out of hope.

You don't have to cry with me, but please stand with me.
Learn what you can. Take preventative measures. Walk a Relay for Life lap in honor of someone you know. Remember those who have lost the fight. Pray for those who are still fighting.

Stand up to cancer.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Ashley. I lost my uncle to cancer and that was really hard on our family. I will stand up to cancer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meaningful & moving blog post...

    I am crying with you & standing with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet Ashley. I thank God for you and stand on the words He spoke to your mother just a few short days after the diagnosis... "Your boys will be fine". Some will say that that comment is too vague; that is was a hopeful, even if not wishful, imagination of her mind. We are convinced of what was heard and that the promise remains... the boys will be fine. We see that in the fact that both, not just one, but both are enjoying what could be said to be fairly normal, and yet miraculous, lives.

    I too am astonished and sickened by the seeming normalcy of cancer amongst the Jones family. Thankfully, God has spared the vast majority of the Clifford family from the illness. May He continue to watch over Danny and those who continue the fight to be "clear". May He release even more powerful words of grace and hope into your life and may He drive you to see your calling to fruition.

    Daddy loves you.

    ReplyDelete